Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calendar Layout w/global fields - is this right?

snickwit

This topic is 7346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I am a network administrator (having fun with my filemaker DB projects) working on a simple calendar layout for room schedules at a non-profit so you can imagine, our budget is limited. The layout is a 7-day weekly layout for rooms scheduling using global fields. Based on my research, I could not find a simple answer and/or some of it was too complicated. Here is the lowdown on my project:

Requirements: Display 7 day layout for each room onsite (preferably, as many rooms on a 11x17" sheet I can fit in it) which comes from two databases: CLASSES DB and private LESSONS DB both which have rooms booked.

I have created a ROOMS DB which links to both and I can display results. In the rooms DB, I have (I can only fit 6 rooms onto one page layout):

gDay1, gDay2 ...gDay 7

gRoom1, gRoom2 ...gRoom6 (for each room)

which totals: 13 fields

and conconcated formulas:

gDay1 & " " & gRoom1 (this could be Monday Room1)

gDay1 & " " & gRoom2 (this could be Monday Room2)

gDay1 & " " & gRoom3

........ thru.........

gDay7 & " " & gRoom6

which totals 42 fields

Does this mean I need to generate 84 relationships to the 2 related database files (classes and lessons). I wonder if there is another smarter way to make the relationships based on something else rather than hard-coded gday and groom fields.

I have a script which can auto-fill the global fields and make print outs so I end up with prints that I need for all rooms which I believe there are 25 rooms. I realize this does not take in account to start date and end date so I will probably need to change the formula to include:

gStart_date

gEnd_date

and concate these two into the conconcated fields but it still remains as total of 42 fields.

Let me know what your thoughts and suggestions are.

Thanks,

Shelley

This topic is 7346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.