Perform Find from list item

kiwiora

This topic is 7327 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys,

Is there anyway I can have the user do a search on a value list? - in that once in find mode, you can select an item from the list? (see screenshot)

i.e the value list is from another database of company names, as such the user needs to open up the matter database and search for xyz Company to display their records. I can't create buttons because the list of company's will expand constantly.

Hope that makes sense. I have FM 6, but have FM 7 also - just haven't installed it yet.

test.zip

Bob has the right idea. Just use a global field formatted as the value list. Once a user has made a selection, enter Find mode and transfer the data from the global to the text field.

Why use an intermediate global field for the find? Pop-up lists work perfectly well in find mode.

Or, try the "Insert From Index" script step.

Right you are. I had interpreted it as a related value list, which wouldn't work in find mode. But if it's a value list from another file based on a non-related field, just create a value list in your main file that uses the list from the other file.

OK I've had a play and I attach example.

One thing that is REALLY weird is it will only work if the company field is on the layout???? I have provided 2 layouts, one with the field on the layout, one without. What the?

Vaughan, are you able to explain or demonstrate what you mean by "Pop-up lists work perfectly well in find mode". I have used it as a plain field and no pop-up list appears in find mode??

Cheers

Version: v6.x (v.7 still in box!)

Platform: Windows XP

test.zip

You can't Paste into a field that isn't on the current layout. This is why Set Field [Company, gCompany] would be a better function to use. You should also be aware that Copy, Clear, Cut, Replace, Relookup, and any 'Insert' script steps require the specified field to present on the current layout.

You can't use a value list in find mode that is related to another file, only a value list *from* another file, as I said before, because relationships don't exist while in find mode.

Thanks Queue - I had originally done set field, but i had other issues with that so i changed it to copy etc etc. Now i've nearly settled it i'll change it back and give it a go.

One last question - why does halt/exit script not work? I have set up the search component to work fine, as you will see on the screen there is a button to go to "All records". I have this button as another script which will halt/exit the script and go to another layout. this all works fine EXCEPT it never finishes. I have to manually click on "continue" which does nothing other than finally exit the script.

Sorry Queue, I didn't mean in that attachment - this is on the "real" version I have.

In laymens terms this is what is happening,

Step 1 - (Script A) user selects file status (performs find on status chosen e.g Open) and goes to a new layout

Step 2 - script A pauses for input (selection of company). If the user clicks on "OK" it resumes the script and performs the constrained find and goes to a list layout. If the user clicks on "All Records" script B is run which stops script A from performing the constrained search and continues with script B which takes it straight to the layout (i.e all "open" records are listed, not further constrained to client).

Issue: - Whilst all the above works as it should, when I get to the list after having chosen "All Records", the script continues to run, even though script B tells it to go to list layout and halt/exit the script.

Hope that makes sense.

Is there some sort of way of saying within script A that if script B is run then exit script A?

You can't prevent a particular script from running unless you are currently in that script, in which case Exit Script will work. If you want to kill all currently running scripts, then Halt Script will work. You can't tell script A to halt unless you are either in script A or use a Halt Script step to abort all scripts.

If you are putting an Exit Script step at the end of script B, then it is doing nothing helpful. Put a Halt Script in its place.

Thanks for all your help Queue - It dawned on me in the grips of sleep last night that what I should just do is go back to basics and split the script into 3 separate scripts. Script 1 performs the first saved search and goes to the client selection , then you select between script 2 or 3 - script 2 being performing the constrained search on to the client selection, script 3 going direct to layout (all found records). Doh. Works beautifully.

This topic is 7327 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.