Client crashing when using open remote

uncmicshrp

This topic is 7197 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

When I open a file using the 'Open Remote' feature, it often crashes and gives me the following error:

"Communication with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established (-3259)"

I have the files hosted on a G5 Mac running OS 10.3.3 (Panther). The other computers in my department are G3's, G4's, and Window Machines (running Windows XP). They all have experienced this 'Open Remote' crash.

How do I solve this problem and stop the -3259 error?

Thanks for any help you are able to give.

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hi, there! I couldn't find the error with FileMaker, but I found 3259 at Apple, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19791. It says that a 3259 is an Open Transport timeout error, but we have not encountered that problem on our network so don't know why you would get that, either. We tend to use OPEN... HOSTS... more, though. Maybe try that and see if it makes a difference (not likely but easy enough, eh?).

Sorry!

--ST

• 4 weeks later...

Open Remote

- if on the same LAN you should not have any porblems unless your clients are set to disconnect after certian idle time.

-over WAN this function never really worked and when it did it was so slow that brought memories of 28 k dialup. look into Citrix or TerminalServices

-test your "open remote hosts" with scripting that step rather than from FM menu

HTH

take it easy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Did you solve this? I have 3 clients connected to a server which is running version 6 pro (not server). 2 of the clients are fine. 1 is getting the -3259 error. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Huh... that seems really odd... especially in a LAN situation. If you feel like going detective, see if you can do testing (even PING tests) to check data transmission integrity on your network. Maybe you have some electrical interference or something going on.

I'm not sure how many folks you have on the network, but if it's a small group and you have an extra hub and cables, you might want to try a day using a non-internet local network situation where the cables and equipment are in plain sight.

--ST

• 5 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Having the same problem with OS 10.3.4 and FM 6.0v2 on old shape iMac G3 connecting to OS 10.3.4 and FMU 6.0v4 on G5 server within the same network segment. Any suggestions would be useful.

Regards

Ric

This topic is 7197 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.