Relationships

This topic is 7333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have just converted some of our files from version 6 to version 7. Each file has about 50 relationships. This may sound like alot but we are running an entire Insurance company using filemaker. The new relational graph is an absoulute NIGHTMARE!! What was once managable is now un-managemanable. Has anyone had this same experiance? What were they thinking ?

Stu

Version: v7.x

Platform: Windows XP

You have my empathy. I run a hospital systems with FMP and have solutions with over 30 files, each with no less than 20 relationships.

What I discovered is that converting these to FM7 lost all the benefits that 7 has to offer. I sat down and started going through it and I can build the same thing with 7 a whole lot simpler, less tricks needed to get it to jump through hoops. Of course the only draw back is I start over from scratch - but in my book, that's the only way to go.

I agree, I posted a message earlier about how confusing the new relationship model is. I don't know if I am being stubborn or if its is really hard. I liked it better when you named a relationship not "table occurrences" which is only half a relationship. I end up with confusing mess. I am not a braniac or a programer. I own my own printing company and I created my own database for job tickets and estimating. It has been very useful and I have more fun playing with filemaker than anything else I do, but I quickly get over my head.

Does any one have a simple way to explain the overview of the new relationship model

mmmmm - have tried a small relational set of tables

components - join file - products

i put a portal into products so that I can enter the components that this product uses -

but no matter what i try i cannot seem to enter into the portal :??

I hope someone can show a simple way also

"I liked it better when you named a relationship not "table occurrences"..."

Steve, I've got to agree. Maybe I'll get used to it, but if there is more than a couple of tables the diagram model does not seem to cope well.

Keep the GUI in please FMI, but give us old list back too. As well.

This topic is 7333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.