Sharing Issues

repartist

This topic is 7231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been having a sharing problem that I cannot seem to get resolved. Even though the files in question are shared as multi-user by TCP/IP, we always get the message "file.fp5 is currently in use and could not be opened." The file is a single-user, or the host could not be found on the network. This happens when one user has the file(s) open. Is there a way to have more than one user on a file at the same time? We are using Microsoft Windows network. One computer is running XP with FMP ver 5.0v3, and the other computer is running Windows 2000 with FMP 6.0 v4.

Version: v6.x

Platform: Windows 2000

• 1 month later...

Which machine is hosting the file and is that file LOCAL to the machine hosting it? I have a similar issue with a W2KPro machine hosting a file and not allowing an XPPro machine to open as guest, BUT the XPPro machine can REMOTE host, and then the W2K box (where the file is Local) can open as GUEST. Seems backwards.

You're using OS level file sharing and that's causing the issue. This might damage your files, so turn off file sharing on the folders where your fp5 files live.

The correct deployment is like this: move the files to a machine that will act has host & open them there. Files need to be set to multi-user and filemaker pro needs to have TCP/IP as the active network protocol. With this set, the other copies of filemaker pro will see the files in the "open remote" dialog (or 'Hosts' dialog on older versions).

Let me know if need more info in this,

HTH

Wim

• Newbies

I'm having a similar issue as Armand: I have three winMe (i know, I know) boxes, call them A, B, C

the file is located on the hard drive of A.

If I open the DB on A, then nobody else can open it (even tho it is marked as shared/multi-user)

If I open the DB on B, opening it over the network via windows file sharing, then A and/or C can also open it via filemaker's 'hosts' button.

If I open the DB on C, opening it over the network via windows file sharing, then A and/or B can also open it via filemaker's 'hosts' button.

All three have the my documents folder shared, but I also tried it w/out sharing.

If I create a brand new database from scratch, and try to share it from A, it fails to show up in the 'hosts' window.

Any ideas?

Well, having the OS file sharing on is obviously very dangerous.

The troubleshooting effort should go in finding out why B and C can't see the hosted file if A has it open.

- does FMP on A have the network protocol set to TCP/IP?

- does A have an IP address on the same subnet as B and C (FMP only automatically detects hosted files on the same subnet)

- does A run any firewall software that would block access port 5003 (the port on the host that other FMP clients look through)

• Newbies

Thanx for the reply - i did check those three items, and they all check out ok. What's odd is that A can share with b or C if B or C originally opens the file, - i.e. it can be a guest, but not a host.

There's no firewall on this machine, but that's a good idea to check for - its beind a hardware NAT router like the other machines.

Our last-ditch effort is to upgrade to win2k and see if a fresh OS install will help. its a 3 year old pc so it might be due for an upgrade anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I am having the same problem all of a sudden. We used to be able to have any pc open up and be the host and everyone else could log in as a guest. Now in the last 2 weeks, if one person is on noone else can get in. It is still showing a multi-user.

This topic is 7231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.