Care to critique my layout UI?

panache

This topic is 7307 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, all. I'm developing a system for a school what will track student data, staff data, etc. I'd like to get some feedback on my UI if I could. You can find a sample here. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.

I've also created a main menu database, what I'm calling a "task file." It does nothing other than allow the users to launch the various databases. Good idea? Thanks again.

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Panache:

It looks fine to me, too, although I'd echo Ugo's question about the underlining. I'm also curious as to why the DOB, DOA, Age and Gender fields are empty under "Financial" when they are populated under "Personal." Another question: how does one edit this data? Also, why is the age "34.25"? Is that needed by the users? I'd think it would be much easier to look at the integer value "34."

Regarding your main menu database - it's a fine idea. You can even make it look akin to a floating palette, very small, that can always be visible off on one side, or at the bottom of the screen...

-Stanley

Overall a pleasing & organized interface.

I suggest increasing the font size. I'm over 50, and the text & buttons are too hard to read. You've got the screen real estate.

For partial year ages, try a calc like this (given the date field DOB):

Year(Status(CurrentDate)) - Year(DOB) - If(Status(CurrentDate) < Date(Month(DOB),Day(DOB),Year(Status(CurrentDate))), 1, 0) & "years, " &

(Mod(Month(Status(CurrentDate)) - Month(DOB) + 12 - If(Day(Status(CurrentDate)) < Day(DOB), 1, 0), 12)) & "months, " &

(Status(CurrentDate)- Date(Month(Status(CurrentDate)) - (Day(DOB) > Day(Status(CurrentDate))), Day(DOB), Year(Status(CurrentDate)))) & "days"

Pretty good. I'm going to be picky though. I like the overall "OS X" look, especially the clear squarish labels for the sections.

I'm not quite so fond of the round buttons. I like the button itself fine, but I think the thick dark border detracts from the "lightness" of the transparent approach. If you could soften the contrast I think it would look better.

Also, the poor magnifying glass in the Search button is getting chopped. I know you're being consistent with the size of the other buttons. In that case get or make a smaller glass.

As Ugo mentioned, the underlining seems to obscure the data somewhat. It's a dilemma, because you need something to set off the data from the labels. How about a field border, gray, bottom line only, hairline? That would look much like underlining, but more subtle. (I am a "subtle" fanatic :-) It would, however, be there whether data existed or not, which is fine, but it should not be too dark, unless you have to print this, which would require a compromise.

I'm trying to figure out the round buttons... I'm guessing that the arrows are for next record, previous record. The "+" could be for adding a record? I have no idea what the "a" is for. Then the printer icon must be to print something...

Are the round button options the same in all files? If so, what are you actually printing when you hit the print button? All info for the Student or just the info on the current layout?

Over time, there will be many types of forms that users will want to print for the same record. Unless your print button brings you to a layout with different print options, it may be best to have your print forms available in some other way.

--Mike

Thanks, everyone. I was underlining as an attempt to differentiate between fields and field labels. I have since moved to boxes for the fields. I also see what you're saying about the round buttons. They do seem a little "heavy handed" for the rest of the layout. I'll redo them.

Fenton: I, too, am crazy for a subtle, minimalist design. I'll take your advise into consideration.

Thanks again to all who replied. I rarely get a chance to receive some good, constructive feedback on my designs. I'll have to try this here at the forums more often.

This topic is 7307 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.