Server Maintenance This Week. ×

I'm not even sure what to call my question. . .

djtaras

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Howdy. I am attempting to create a situation where when i choose one item from a pop-up menu, for example, an island in hawaii, I want the pop-up menu in the next field to contain only data specific to that island.

For example, if i choose "Maui" from my first pop-up, i want only a list of beaches on maui to pop up in the next field; if I choose Kauai, then only beaches on Kauai will appear in the next field's pop-up.

i know that I have to create a relationship between the two fields, "Islands" and "Beaches" and then to create value lists that work within that relationship, HOWEVER, I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell to really do, tho its not for lack of trying.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards.

Version: v6.x

Platform: Windows XP

Attached is what is described below:

Create a table/file "Islands" for the islands. Define a number field named Island.ID with auto-entered serial #. Define a text field named Island.Name with the name of the island. Define a global number field named g.Beach.ID, this field will receive the value of the Beaches popup (since I don't know what you want to do...)

Create a separate table/file "Beaches" for the beaches. Define a number field named Beach.ID with auto-entered serial #. Define a text field named Beach.Name with the name of the island. Define a number field named Island.ID, this field will associate a beach with an island. Define a relationship Islands between Island.ID in this file and and Island.ID in Islands. Define a value list Islands using value from field, specify Islands as the file, Island.ID as the first field, and Island.Name as the second, sort on second. On the layout, change the field Island.ID so it is a popup menu using the value list Islands.

Back in Islands, define a Relationship IsLands between Island.ID in this file and Island.ID in Beaches, check sort related records by & select Beach.Name. Define a value list Beaches, with use values from field, click Specify, click Only related values, select Beaches in the popup. Select Beach.ID for the first field, Beach.Name for the second, sort by second field. Back on the layout, Field Format g.Beach.ID to be a popup menu using the value list Beaches.

Voila!

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Beaches.zip

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.