Specify print options - Good and Bad?

This topic is 7331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I think I have come across a couple features of the new "Specify print options" option in the Print[] script step that are good and bad:

The Good:

We can now specify multiple Page Setup and Print options within the same script. This means that when we want users to choose their own layout in a report, we can change the page size and orientation without calling external Page Setup scripts.

The Bad:

In my test in OS X Panther, if you "Specify print options" to choose" Current record" or "Records being browsed", the script will override the user's default printer choice and use whatever you, the developer had selected for a printer when you set the Print options.

Can someone confirm this?

I can see how this could be a useful feature if you want your database to control which printer your user's print jobs come out on. But for my multi-site, environment this would be a problem.

--Mike

Version: Developer v7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

It sounds like you will need to use some AppleScript to set the printer. With multiple users each with their own printer you may need to create a table of users with their printer name to automate the process. Good luck.

The Good:

We can now specify multiple Page Setup and Print options within the same script.

It's still better to put print setups in separate scripts. Then there is one place - or a few places - to set/fix page setup for all print scripts.

This topic is 7331 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.