Does FP7 allow for freezing a column?

This topic is 7230 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

ONe of the minor annoyances (for me) from earlier FP versions was the inability to freeze the first column of a layout (wo all the subsequent columns scroll horizontally but the first column stays fixed for users reference).

Does anyone know if FP7 allows for this?

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks. Yes, I know it is a database and not a spreadsheet but it does allow for table layouts to display one's data and sometimes the layouts may exceed the width of the screen. It would be a nice layout feature if the first column could be frozen so the user could scroll through data for each record and still know what record they were on.

Oh well.

Thanks again for the response.

Kindest regards,

Mark

OK, I haven't tried this, but here is a thought--a workaround:

Let's say you have a layout with 26 columns, Columns 1 through 26. Only 13 will fit on the screen at one time without scrolling.

Why not provide the user with two layouts, one has columns 1 - 13 and the other has column 1 plus columns 14-26. Then provide a button for easy switching between layouts. It is not quite as flexible as the spreadsheet style approach, but may solve the problem.

Since FMP7 can do multiple windows, who don't you display the first col in one narrow window on the left and all the rest of the cols in a 2d window on the right? The user could then scroll back and forth through the cols. as they pleased in the 2d window while the first window maintained the first col. (Question: can they be linked or synched somehow to scroll vertically together? I haven't tried this yet.)

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Windows XP

Decker, that's what OfficeMoMo's download example was...

I see two problems though... Sorting by clicking on a column header in one window does nothing to the other so then the data is not lined up... and as you mentioned, vertical scrolling.

My thought (with limited 7 experience so far) is that instead of using table view, create a List Layout that mimics a table view and use the two window trick. Then everything can be scripted as far as sorting... but the vertical scrolling still would be a problem.

Perpendicular scrolling and sorting have only compensated the function with the script.

The sample which added the script was created.

Please download and check a sample.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/office/momo/upfiles/Excel.ZIP

Please click the Excel button.

script Next / Previous / Sort_After

Please perform a script after sorting.-->Sort_After

Does it become helpful?

• 2 months later...

This topic is 7230 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.