Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 7290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• 1 month later...

Would you mind checking the ISBN on the book you just got? The SAMS site lists this book as:

ISBN: 0672325780; Published: May 4, 2004; Copyright 2004;

Pages: 504; Edition: 1st.

But if you check the amazon.com site, the same ISBN gives this listing:

Sams Teach Yourself FileMaker in 24 Hours

Paperback: 400 pages

Publisher: SAMS; 1st edition (October 21, 2003)

ISBN: 0672325780

Note that the title is different (no '7'), has diff. # pgs. and diff. date--yet still the same ISBN, which should not be. One or the other site has it wrong. (Unless SAMS goofed and used the same ISBN as the earlier, 2003 edition--which presumably covers FM6.

decker

PRP407:

Can you give us a comparison to other (i.e., older) FileMaker books? I've never used a Sams book for FileMaker, so I've got no basis for comparison, but I need to get someone started on FMP7, and don't have the time for personal training.

Thanks

Stanley

If you want to get someone going on FM7, I recommend having them use the tutorial for FM 7 and then use this book. By the third chapter, the book assumes you already know the commands to do certain things. This was fine except where the commands were different from FM 6. That's when I realized I needed to do the FM7 tutorial first.

The book starts very simply but then makes some leaps. I found that I would sometimes read the quiz at the end of the chapter and have no idea the question had been covered so I had to review some chapters several times.

I think some of the older books are better but they won't be specific to FM 7. So I guess it will come down to the level of user you're talking about training.

PRP407:

Thanks for the info. I'm training someone from scratch, and I'm looking for something to go after the tutorial, just as you said. I thought the Visual Quick Start Guide (or whatever it's called) was fairly decent for that purpose, so maybe I'll wait until that comes out.

Thanks again

-Stanley

PRP407:

Thanks for the info. I look forward to seeing a posting about the QuickStart book when you've received it...

-Stanley

• Newbies

I wrote the Sams Teach Yourself FileMaker 7 in 24 Hours book. Here's the scoop on the confusion about pub. dates, page count, ISBN, etc. It is only FM 7, and it was not published last fall. The ISBN is 0-672-32578-0. The Amazon.com and barnes & noble.com pages were corrected today. (Very boring story why some of the info was wrong--we're lucky it was corrected so quickly.)

The online bookstores sometimes have strange problems. The #1 bestselling book on Amazon for "FileMaker 7" is... "Wine for Dummies." I have no idea what that signifies.

Thanks very much for clearing up the mystery. smile.gif

And I'm glad your book came out so soon after the release of FM 7. It's been a big help in learning the program. Hour one cleared up a my confusion from trying to compare different programs. Thank you. laugh.gif

This topic is 7290 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.