Auto refresh screen

This topic is 7323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm building a fault tracking system. I pplan to place a screen with a list of live faults on a desk for an engineer to glance at occassional to check for new faults appearing in the list.

I would like the list to refresh itself every few minutes so that new faults appear in the list automatically without requiring someone to run the find/sort repeatedly.

Can this be scripted ?

Some sort of script that loops slowly:

find live faults

sort

pause 2 mins

repeat

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Shane

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Mac OS X Jaguar

Shane:

I think you answered your own question. Set up a loop in your script that does exactly what you put in your post. It will work.

-Stanley

I understand the concept, but when I use this script:

Loop

Perform Script ["Fault - Live List"]

End Loop

Sure it refreshed OK, but it stays stuck in the loop.

To select a fault for action I have to press Apple period to cancel the loop.

I need to find a way of running the looping script while not tying up the computer

Shane

Amazing, I put an extra 15 secs of effort in and got it sorted.

Loop

Perform Script ["Fault - Live List"]

Pause/Resume Script [Duration (seconds): 10]

End Loop

This works, but I thought there would be a better solution.

I'm struggling a little here, I'm trying to test multiuser stuff with a single computer and single license.

Having to use web to create records, which isn't that bad. Forces me to get the web side working nicely.

Thanks for your suggestion Stanley.

Shane

Shane->

The problem is that when you search in FileMaker, the search is based on what is in the database at that instant, and the Found Set does not update. Data based on a relationship is automatically updated. If you can define a relationship and put the data in a portal, it will automatically update.

The method assumes you're using a single file. You have a field that defines a live fault. Define a global that will have the same info. For instance, if the field is a text field with "Live", then define a global text field and put "Live" in it. Define a relationship using the same file from the global to the field discerning live faults. Put a portal on a layout with the relationship, populate it with the field to display, and voila: you've got an actively updating list.

This topic is 7323 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.