Constraining Max JPEG Size For Classified Ad

This topic is 7288 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to be able to ensure that no photos are Pasted to Container field Photo1 unless the JPEG is less than 100K in size. I am building a web hosted classified ad system. I want users to be able to add a new record with a house they want to sell, and I want to have a photo of the house on the record layout. My problem is that I will be dealing with people who visit the web site once or twice and just want to quickly get their classified ad details up and running. How can I have the Insert/Picture... command reject any Paste of a JPEG (or TIFF or whatever) that is larger than 100K? Most digital cameras are running at 3 MB plus and my database and user response cannot tolerate that - especially given that some users will be doing lookups over dialup lines. Thanks very much. David Mars

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

David:

I think you'll need a plugin for this, but I'm not too familiar with how FileMaker's IWP system functions. If nobody else replies here soon, try to see if you can get an answer regarding that from the "Using FileMaker Online" forum...

-Stanley

Well, you are saying two different things. Insert picture or paste? They are not at all the same thing. In my experience, do not EVER paste an image into a container field. Import it. Whether as reference or as full import. Pasted images produce terrible performance and at least 10X greater file size.

do not EVER paste an image into a container field.Import it.

100%

on the web - yes u can depending on the platform/language ur using

but in FM I think u would need a plugin like Troi's.

Inserting an image is the way to go. There are some other 3rd party (NON FM but windows) prducts that can be initiated/started from FM and have eg. scan your image folder and resize all images in it.....like I said, it is not an FM solution but rather file/handeling/scanning....

take a look at:

autoit http://www.hiddensoft.com/AutoIt/ - for auto-windows anything

irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/ - for auto-image resising etc.

I hope this gives you some options....

Good Luck!

This topic is 7288 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.