Server/Developer Licensing Questions

This topic is 7304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Please forgive me if this is an FAQ, the FileMaker site didn't quite answer my questions. Say I install FileMaker Server on a machine, then deploy the client application to multiple workstations that was created using Dev7. Does that satisfy licensing requirements, or is volume licensing required for all the clients? I know that the runtime isn't networkable, but does owning Dev7 allow you to redistribute without the need for Pro7 licenses?

Again, sorry for the stupid question, new to FM. Thanks in advance...

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Welcome Steve,

In order to deploy any solution using server you will need a full license copy of FileMaker on each machine. You could purchase individual box copies or at a certain point it is more cost effective to purchase a volume license.

FileMaker Developer allows you to create Runtimes that can be distributed with out the need for licenses - these are independent of server or client. Think "shrink-wrap" or demo's of your solution.

FileMaker Developer is identical to FileMaker Pro with a few additional features, namely script debugging, custom functions, and the ability to create standalone runtimes. Other than this it is the same animal.

The runtimes created with developer don't need a client copy of FMP, and can be distributed freely with your bound databases. (The copy of FM Developer can not be distributed if that's what you're asking, only the bound runtimes you create with it.) Third-party plugins used in the solution are not included: these have to be licensed for distribution separately. Some third-party plugin developers offer developer licenses that allow unlimited distribution: check the plugin license.

If you want to create a multi-user system then forget creating runtimes. Each client needs their own license of FMP. A host computer also needs to be set up with either a separate copy of FMP or ideally a copy of FM Server.

Major differences

runtime:

cannot be networked

does not share files (unless data files hosted on FM server, but need full FMP to access them anyway)

does not offer full range of import/export file formats

cannot modify design of anything

no support from FMP - you have to do your own support

Platform: Windows XP

You are correct Runtime's are not networkable. If you want to restrict your users to only printing & imputing you will need to create access privelages to restrict this. Or purchase plugins to expand this such as turning off menu's or changeing and creating your own.

Another benefit of a Volume license is that you are covered for updates. I believe all new VLAs come with 1 year of maintaince which allows you to the current versions. I bought a 2 year subscription back in Dec 2002 with a very strong believe that something BIG was coming. FM7 did not disappoint me in that fact.

• Newbies

This makes FM a rather costly solution! The client I had in mind for this has about 15 users in their office, and another 10 or 15 that need to connect remotely. So they have to buy Server ($999), and 30 client licenses (via Volume Licensing is $229 each for a total of $6,870). Wow...

Price it with other options and I think you will find for what you get the price is not that bad. Also with that number of clients I don't think you will pay the single box retail price. Contact your local FM rep and find out your options. You might even be able to upgrade from older copies to the newest version. Contact the rep.

Curious ...

In previous versions, if you bought a Volume License, say for 10 users, if you happened to bump over the 10 by accident one day, there were no errors or anything. Not that I would EVER do this.

Hypothetically speaking... does anyone know if FM7 volume licensing actually "counts" the number of users on a network at any given time?

I think it only counts the number of concurrent sessions. It does not keep track of the installcodes, combined with IP addresses (or whatever trick you can think of) it has ever encountered on a network. If you do have more than 10 concurrent users with a 10 VLA, it will give the 11th one and the ones after an error message. ('Exceeded number of licenses' or something like that)

No idea if it's the same with 7, but one would presume so. This is only interesting from a theoretical point of view anyway: illegal! At least, that is how I read VLA. It is not 'floating', is it?

This topic is 7304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.