Server Maintenance This Week. ×

can a script import multiple files?

This topic is 7316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I hope I am posting in the right place and not a repeat of a question. I think I have looked at almost every post for the past few years. So...

I need to bring in a field from 9 different databases (only 1 field per database) into one database. I have set my relationships but it would be best if I could script a button to import without dialog. Can this be done with Filemaker 6 or would Developer 6 make it happen?

Thanks for all the amazing information. I never could have gotten as far with this project without all your help.

Pat

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Windows XP

Hello Pat,

If the structure of the files is similar (so that the order of fields mapping from the varioius files to the current files is always the same) then you can import from all nine files in a single script. You will require nine Import Records[ ] commands, each pointing at a different file.

However in FileMaker v6, it is only possible to save a single import order (field matching 'map') per script, so if your file structures are different and require different field match profle, then you will need to set up each import in its own sub-script and then call them all within the main script using the Perform Script[ ] command.

Either way, the whole process will be automated and will occur with a single script call... wink.gif

This topic is 7316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.