This topic is 7309 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys.. got a fairly simple question but i just can't seem to find an answer to it...

What do i do to prevent a person from checkin a checkbox more than once.

Eg.

I have 2 checkboxes. "new" and "renew" how can i prevent users from checkin both of them at the same time...

Logic will be, a record status can be either new, renew or none, but record cannot be both new and renew.

Please advise... Thanks

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Windows 95/98

Another solution would be to make a simple script for each checkbox that checks for the status of the field before setting that checkbox. If "renew" is already checked the script will uncheck it prior to checking "new" and vice versa...

Alternatively, a field validation with a calculation

not (PatternCount(YourField,"Yes") and PatternCount(YourField,"No"))

But again be aware that scripts by-pass field validations, so I'd too rely on scripts as Shadowdoc suggested.

Platform: Mac OS 9

I *hate* how multiple radio buttons can be shift-clicked! It's the most stupid and unnecessary violation of a basic interface element!

Ugo DI LUCA said:

Alternatively, a field validation with a calculation

not (PatternCount(YourField,"Yes") and PatternCount(YourField,"No"))

But again be aware that scripts by-pass field validations, so I'd too rely on scripts as Shadowdoc suggested.

Hi guys...

Thank you so much for your help. I already did the script mention by Shawdowdoc and i manage to prevent the user from checking both boxes with the use of the field validation function. I set the field with a maximum character validation, so if both boxes are checked, the value will exceed my maximum number of characters and will prompt an error message.

I chose the easy way of doing it.. Not sure will i experience problems in future.. Do let me know if you guys see any possible flaw in this method...

grin.gif

Platform: Windows 95/98

"I set the field with a maximum character validation, so if both boxes are checked, the value will exceed my maximum number of characters"

All you have to check for is the presence of a "

This topic is 7309 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.