Changing a global on server

This topic is 7283 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was thinking of using a global field to store the CAN/US exchange rate, but this solution will be hosted with FileMaker server - will it be possible to change the contents of this field without shutting down the server and opening the files with a client?

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Have not tried it in FM7 (Server is not available yet,) but in FM Server 5.5, you can't change a global's default without shutting down Server.

You may be able to add a table for Preserved Settings. Populate one record, then use this to fill your global when users log in, or link it directly with the appropriate files.

Actually, you can do this without stopping the server. You must be the only user logged in to the file. Change the data, then go to Define Fields. This will make the data "stick." Note that this does not work for container fields. FileMaker Server 7 will allow this with no special workaround.

Jason:

Or, you could just have a related file with a single record in it, with the exchange rate (or even multiple exchange rates) in a regular data field. This way, you can change the data on the fly...

-Stanley

Fitch said:

Actually, you can do this without stopping the server. You must be the only user logged in to the file. Change the data, then go to Define Fields. This will make the data "stick.

Ah yes I forgot about this.

What do you mean when you say FileMaker Server 7 will allow this with no special workaround? You mean it will be the same workaround or there will be an easier way to do it? Personally I'd like to see a script step "change global default".

FileMaker 7 will allow you to modify access privileges and define fields on the fly, without disconnecting other users. As for setting globals -- it seems to me I heard something different about how 7 handles it, but now I'm not sure. Of course with 7 you may decide to just add another table with a single record rather than use globals, or you may find some other new technique. E.g., calc fields can now be stored as global in 7... hmmm...

This topic is 7283 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.