Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Exporting records individually

This topic is 7310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys.. is it possible for the export function to export records individually and also ensure tht importing back of records is done as easily?

I've tried exporting my records in CSV format and it looks pretty messy when i open it up using wordpad. When i try to import back into my application the fields got all mixed up.

Any suggestions on how i can improve on the exporting? Thanks

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Windows 95/98

Do you want to just export a single record? Just have that record be the only one in the found set when you export.

Navigate to the Record

Show All Records

Omit Record

Show Omitted

Export

You must specify both the export and import order. (They must be the same if importing into the same database.) You cannot specify field names when exporting to CSV.... if you use XML you can preserve field names in the exported text.

Does this answer your question?

thanks for your replies cjaeger n reed..

Reed, i tink i can work on the method you've mentioned but is there a simpler way, like for example if i have a list of found set, is it possible for me to program it in such a way whereby all the records in the list are saved as an individual CSV file with the fieldname as the file name?

You can write a looping script to export each file and rename it dynamically.

The looping script part is easy. The dynamic renaming is a bit harder. I use a mac so it is relatively easy to use applescript to rename files using field values. I am guessing one could do the same with the send message script step in windows.... maybe someone else can help you write one. Otherwise you can download the demo of the Troi file plugin, or CNS saveit plugin or......etc.

This topic is 7310 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.