Server Maintenance This Week. ×

fp7 to fp5

This topic is 7048 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

alimrb:

I think that the short answer is: you can't.

You can convert forward, but there is no facility to convert backward.

-Stanley

ps: why would you want to?

I could take a couple of guesses why someone might want to go backwards from 7 to 6 or possibly 5: (1) The confusion about Pro 7 supporting XML/XSLT/CDML, or (2) An earlier operating system (like OX 9 or Windows 98/NT) that doesn't support 7.

Ali, you'd have to export each table in SYLK, EXCEL, DBF, or some other format. Having done that, OPEN that file from within your older version and recreate your field settings, scripts, etc. cool.gif

• 6 months later...

Raising the dead here but I thought I'd add a comment for future readers... potentially of interest, an unsupported utility eventually surfaced for converting FM5 solutions back to FM3, called "FM Reverter". So it's worth keeping your eyes open, something may appear eventually. (I had nothing o do with FM Reverter, just a user.)

PS Yes, I actually had use for it once. Once.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I upgraded some files to fp7. The organization I came from is not interested in upgrading to fp7. In fact they want to convert to Access since I left. However they would like the lates information I hane in my files. I tried to export .slk and it was not a trivial problem to get the fields to match. The matching option owas greyed out.

So it sounds like reinputting the record information is the only way to go from fp7 to fp5.

Hi Jim,

I don't have version 7, so I can't test this (unsupported system).

Basically you will have to create the files in v5. You might try saving the files as Merge format and opening them up in FileMaker. This should provide you with the field names and data. You will have to recreate any scripts, and copy over the calculations (hope you haven't used any of the NEW functions that are not available in v5) using the old functions names such as Status instead of Get, etc.

The only other way would be to create the files in version 5, and then import the data into it using one of the export methods. (i.e. text (comma or tab).

BTW, Reverter was for converting v5 to v4 (and it wasn't stable). I don't think it would see v7 data.

HTH

Lee

cool.gif

This topic is 7048 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.