Lookups and autofinding records

This topic is 8311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Had a large database with roughly 6000+ records. For some reason the company split the db. The first field we do a lookup is Employee #. For instance, we enter a number in this field and 70% of the time it brings up the correct record. Sometimes it brings up the entered emplyee # with incorrect first name but the right last name. The only prob is the last name is inserted in the first name field and a different first name is entered in the last name field. Its like the records are getting cross-linked when it searches for them. This is not a relational db either. Just one long list of fields. Is there some way to defrag the records (other than sorting)??

Any ideas

Thanx in advance

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: kennyboy5 ]

Curious. I just had the same problem occur last week on a solution that I'm setting up.

Try the standard things first.

1. Make sure that you have the latest update to Filemaker. You can download it free from www.filemaker.com

2. Try recovering the file. This will rebuild any corrupted indexes.

In my case, I manually recreated all the files because I had only a few records of test data in them. The new files still had the problem, so I suspect there may be some kind of bug in Filemaker involving the lookup function. Strange though, I've been using Filemaker's lookups for years and don't remember this happening before.

Let me know if you find a solution to this.

Hi Bob, thanx for the reply. Now how would you go about rebuilding the file without actually re-entering the data. Or I mean rebuilding it. What I have is....

a) the original file with the 6000+ records

: and the two split files approx 3000 records each

thanx again

Kenny

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: kennyboy5 ]

I meant use the recover command in the file menu. It will go through your file and recover corrupted records indexes etc. Quite often that will fix the problem.

In my case, since I didn't really have any data yet, I decided to just recreate the file from scratch. Didn't help though, so my problem is not a corrupted file.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: BobWeaver ]

This topic is 8311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.