Displaying multiple record fields

emerywang

This topic is 7277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi. How can I display multiple record fields on one page, like in table view, yet also be able to customize it, like in form view? For example, each record has a date, and a bunch of data in that record. I need to list multiple records, showing the dates across the top, and the corresponding data below, like in an excel spreadsheet. But I need to be able to customize how it all lays out. Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks.

-Emery

Try to make something in List view to meet your needs. If you cannot then you probably need some kind of array, which is one of the weaker aspects in FMP.

Also try searching the forum for "horizontal portal" there are a few demos around that may meet your needs. (My apologies for not remembering the names of the fine FMP developers who created them.)

Thanks, Vaughn. Not sure if doing that will work. Let me make sure I've explained what I need correctly:

Say you have a field called "name" in each record. What I need to do is display that field for the past, say, 12 records, in a new record. So in this new record, I'd like to create a field that displays the contents of "name" from record 1, another field that displays the contents of "name" from record 2, etc.

Is this doable? Excel does this easily, by displaying data in columns. So in effect, I'm taking the data in each Excel column, and making it an individual record. Then I need to make another record or file that displays the contents of these individual records all together, and I need to customize how they look.

Thanks.

-Emery

You could do something like this with a portal and a "self-join" relationship. Though conceptually difficult, it's not technically challenging.

However at this stage I'd be asking what it was you were trying to achieve. It may be that a completely approach to the data design is needed.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have quite the same case. Rather than having the records displayed in rows as normally would, I need them to be displayed in columns.

Example (an excel-like look):

_col.A_ __col.B__ __col.C__ __col.D__

1] DATE [10/06/04] [12/06/04] [12/07/04]--->>> new record as new column

2]

3] HMT [2.5mg] [3.0mg] [3.5mg]---->>> new data for col.D date

4] PHT [0.5mg] [ 0 ]

5] item3 [ 5ml ] [10ml ] [ 5ml ]

6] item4 [1.0mg] [0.5mg] [ 0 ]

7] item5

(Using FileMaker Dev. v6.0)

Why this kind of view? To view and compare the data with current and past dates. If there is some other way this can be displayed i'd be happy to know.

Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andreas

This topic is 7277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.