Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can I run Server 5.5 and Server 7 on Same Machine?

This topic is 7253 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Yes you can. It's not optimal, and it may significantly reduce the performance of FMS 5.5.

It might also cause data corruption, so you have to ask yourself if it's worth doing even for a short test. If it was a production server, I wouldn't even consider it. I get upset when people run *any* program on a production server.

The short answer is: now you can't. Both FMS 5/5.5 and 7 use the same date port: 5003. So while it might technically be possible to get all the necessary services running at the same time you would never be sure if fms 5.5 or 7 is listening to the data port. FM7 packets might get sent to FMS 5/5.5 or vice versa, which is how data corruption occurs.

HTH

Wim

Wim's correct.

I just installed FMS 5.5 onto a machine that was already running FMS 7 (Trial) . The FMS 5 server deamon itself won't start, the FMS 5.5 Event log states that network initialization failed.

Probably a good thing, really.

Too bad...

I was hoping to run a new, built from the ground up Version 7 solution and leave the 5.5/6 version for historical reference purposes.

I hate having to import thousnads of records into a barnd new version of the database. The version 5.5/6 has about 30 files and they don't align logically with the new version 7 since I started the new version from the ground up, entirley different sructure, etc.. What a pain. At least 16 hours of solid, mind numbing work to figure this one out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This topic is 7253 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.