How can I input a scanned document

Joseph31

This topic is 7266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a FM6 and soon FM7 data base...I need a way to be able to scan (from a scanned or PDF) documents into FM. Into a field (Large Field) maybe into a report page that I can bring up to look at.

I have a business that I use lots of medical records...I would like to put these medical records in FM...So when I am on a client page all I have to do is hit a button to see what I have scanned in...

For FM6 you can insert a picture into a container field. If you scan the document, save it as a jpeg. You have your choice of inserting the scanned jpeg into the field or just inserting a reference to the file. The advantage of storing just the reference is that as soon as you start embedding a picture into FM6, the size of your database really grows. Even a small picture (30K) can cause the FM file to grow by 1M because of the overhead need to store the picture. A plug in by Troi (Troi File Plug-in) is available that will automatically store the file as a reference by default so you don't have to remember to check that option block.

In FM7, you can store multiple types of documents in a container field, even a PDF. I don't know how the storage of objects in FM7 impacts the size of the FM7 file because I haven't tried it yet.

HTH, Mike

In FM7 you need to create a container field on one of your layouts. In browse mode, right click on the container field and select Insert File. Navigate to the file you want to embed in the container field and select it.

You cannot view the file from within FileMaker. In order to see the stored file, you have to again right click on the container field and select Export Field Contents to copy the stored file back to disk (or wherever). You must view the file outside of FileMaker.

HTH, Mike

I saw someone else recomend embedding Acrobat formatted .fdf files in a container which would allow for viewing but have not had a chance to try yet.

I need that type of solution so if i get to it before i see a response here i'll let cha' ll know!

We are an MedMal insurance company.. What we do is create pdf documents on policys and doctors record and just store the reference to where these files are on our hard drive..ie:

Field1 = Doctors Name

Field2 = Description of document

field3 = Document name example: decpagedrsmith.pdf

filed4 = path to document example: c:archivedoctors documents

filed 5= calculation field4 & field3

Then our button will be open url filed 5

This is simplified example but it allows us to open anytype of document as the open url will launch the native program for the file type being opened.. We have over 80,000 stored documents this way .. NO CONTAINER FIELDS.

Stuj

Let me see...when you type your informaion in for the first time you need to know the PDF file name...also you need to know where it is on the harddrive...

The script then puts both together and opens the file...

Wow not bad...

can a remote use this also..if the file is not on there hard drive?

ABSOULUTELY (did i spell that right?) Lets say you have a server. just designate a folder (lets call it archive) with a sub folder being doctors documents on the server. Then map a drive letter on everyones machine (lets call that v:) to that folder path on that server.. THEN field 4 becomes

field 4 = (calculation) v:..... it will work like a charm

Like I mentioned we store over 80,000 documents this way. If you have a web server you can store your document on the web server and send an email to a client with a link to the document requested.

Stuj1026

just a quick note.. If you realy want to automate the whole process.. Request your documents electronically.. via e-mail or fax install a fax machine on your computer such as win fax.. when the documents come in just create a pdf using either adobe or pdf factory which is what we use. Create the pdf in your archive directory with a referance and description of the document in filemaker. You can do this with e-mails as well as long as you create to a pdf OR if its a MS word just save attachment as word in the archive directory with AGAIN the referance in FM.. IT works just think about it a bit.. We are paperless here at our offices in Florida all done with Filemaker

Good Luck

Stu

This topic is 7266 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.