Server Maintenance This Week. ×

validation in a script

This topic is 8280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Im a beginner when it comes to scripting so please bear with me. I am trying to validate a field for uniqueness, but I want to do it using a script. I know you can validate fields using the options under Define Fields. What I currently have is a button that sets off a script which copies text and numbers from various fields and paste them into another regular field to create a unique name. My problem is that I need to verify that this name is not used in other records before the rest of the script can proceed. If I validate it using using Define Fields options the current script halts and allows the user to enter jibberish which is then accepted as a valid name (because it does not exist). This is why I would like to do it in a script. Something that will check for uniqueness and guide the user to enter the appropriate data until a valid and unique name is entered. The script I have now will guide the user to only uses correct data but I have not been able to get it to check other records for uniqueness. Any ideas??

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This topic is 8280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.