Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Virtual Private Networks - VPNs

Nicnacs

This topic is 7281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been asked by a company to develop a FMPro solution for them. They have two offices - one in London and one in Glasgow connected by a VPN. I don't know a great deal about their set up and have never had to work with FMPro when some of the users are off site. I've worked with the server version before and run it across a variety of platforms.

What do I need to establish to make sure those in Glasgow can access the live databases down in London?

If I install filemaker server on the server in the London office and individual licenses on each machine, will those in Glasgow be able to access the system?

Thanks

nicole

I have used VPN to connect to my FMS from home using a cable modem. I had to use VPN because my workplace blocked the FMS port with a firewall. Performance over the internet is significantly slower than on a local network, but I've found when testing the same setup using a shared FMP v7 file that performance is greatly improved.

As a general rule, a VPN connection add security but also some overhead to the connection. If you're not familiar with VPN, don't worry. You don't need to know anything about it unless you need to troubleshoot the connection. FM will work just fine through a VPN. Using VPN makes it easy as Reed indicates: you don't have to configure the router/firewall for FM traffic.

HTH

Wim

This topic is 7281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.