Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Another dumb (optimistic) question.

This topic is 7270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can anybody tell me why it is not possible to simply copy then paste all or part of one table into another one?

This just seems like such a productivity enhancement that it can't have just been overlooked.

Are there any plugins for the MAC that would accomplish this for me?

Thanks,

Jarvis

If this is about data, I suppose it's worth asking why "import" doesn't do what you want... If it were possible to copy tables' worth of data without the import dialog -- just with the clipboard, the way one can copy and paste to Excel, say -- it wouldn't be possible to resolve lookups, skip calculation fields, perform auto-enters, validate data, etc.

But of course if it were possible to copy the data *structure* (field definitions) then we could perform imports much more quickly! Are there rumors that this kind of function might show up someday?... but of course it would have been most useful exactly when most of us are converting FM6 into FM7! :|

Bruce,

I'm not sure if I understand your question.

What I would like to do is to produce a report that resembles a spreadsheet in appearance. This report would have the field names in a column down the left side.

The values would be in columns arrayed to the right of the field name.

This is a readabilty issue. The field names have several characters to them and might also several words in the name.

The values would typically have only 3 characters per entry.

The present table view lists these field names horizontally and tends to truncate them in a way that I cannot easily read them.

Does this help?

Jarvis

Jarvis,

If you're not going to change your layout often, then why not just put the field names in vertically rotated text in the header of your report? Make sure to show the header in the layout options for table view.

Hey Bruce!

Sorry for the confusion! I posted two questions and I thought you were answering the first one.

ESpringer,

I guess you are right about the ability to resolve lookups etc.

I haven't done much importing. I was so new to filemaker when FM7 became available that I just dumped all the work I did in FM 6 and started over.

I will probably have this stuff down about the time FM8 shows up.

Jarvis

This topic is 7270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.