Network password protection without affecting web

This topic is 7249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

users.......... My database application is now up on the web site. I would like to have a limited number of functions performed by our department personnel on the same database over our network. These are functions that cannot currently be accomplished via the web site. I want to establish a password to limit the folks who have access over to the DB over the network. Unfortunately, when I use the password feature in Filemaker it also affects the users accessing the DB through the web site. Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Hi, RRR! I'm assuming this is for Instant Web Publishing, right? I don't use IWP but I just turned it on for the heck of it and played around w/some settings... I think you can get the results you want by creating a GROUP for WEBUSERS and putting the NO PASSWORD user in that group. The NO PASSWORD user should have BROWSE and I think EXPORT capability, and the WEBUSERS GROUP should have read access to whatever layouts and fields you need. I could be wrong about these specifics but this is where/how you should be able to get what you want.

FileMaker's Access Priviliges is kinda weird but you can probably get what you need by trial and error. I always forget how to do it until I'm there and then I play around w/the little dots/circles and click in the paired columns until I get what I need.

--ST

Steve, I finally realized that the "No Password" user was a feature of Instant web publishing and not available for custom web publishing. I will continue to look for a solution since our department must be able to access and update the DB over our network and we cannot allow other folks sharing the network to access the DB.

Thanks again,

Hi, Ray! Actually, I've kinda had to do the same thing... Try this...

ACCESS PRIVILEGES

Users: administrator, (blank = no password)

Groups: admin, web

Permissions: each user in each respective group; WEB group only has READ ACCESS to appropriate fields on web layout only

WEB SECURITY DATABASE

All Users = Browse

When you open the db on the host web server, open as administrator.

Web users should only have equivalent to read access on web layout.

Anyone connecting on network without pasword can only browse the same as the web users... no other layouts or fields.

Hope this helps!

--ST

Hi, Ray! We web share databases by creating and configuring a NO PASSWORD entry in Access Privileges and set the WSD for All Users (blank password) to Browse. When network users connect using the HOSTS button, they can type in a password for more power than the web user gets. If no password prompt is given, you can force a password prompt by holding down the OPTION key as you use the OPEN command. Web users should not get the password dialog box unless they try to perform a restricted access command like -edit, -new, etc.

--ST

Sure, in the Web Security Database you can set Browse, Edit, New, Delete, etc. but if you do, anyone from the network will have the same access. Is that okay? Password users must have equal or greater power to no-password web users.

Do the ACCESS PRIVILEGES settings first, test them, and then set up the Web Security Database for "All Users" (no password) w/ Browse, Edit, Create. If both Access Privileges and WSD both have no password users, no dialog should pop-up. You'll see... the WSD is easy and has checkboxes... try it. The WSD is actually 3 db's but you only need to work in the Web Security Database one.

--ST

Thanks again Steve and Garry, sounds like this will work since my network users will need to have many more privileges than the web users.

Just as a little background, this application allows our faculty to register for many teaching events we host each semester. It will allow them to review their training hours accumulated and other features to be added down the pike. Our department personnel will perform miscellaneous maintenance functions. I'm off tomorrow, but will dig in Thursday morning feeling confident that the solution is near at hand. ........ Ray

========================================

I create an administration page for those whom I want to edit database content. This Administration page lets me customize what features the content writers can have (add, delete, edit, etc.) and also allows me to provide online instrtuction help and hints for the novice users who know nothing about web publishing or even databases. The link to the administration pages is not 'live' and must be known by the users. Administrative users are provided user names and passwords to access the file. All others have no password/guest access with browse only enabled.

Hi Steve and Garry, hip-hip-hooray, your suggestion to use the Web Security Database (WSD) has solved my problem. I have six files that comprise the application so I had to tweak things a bit but my users are happy campers.

kcswebman, thanks for your thoughts on the subject, sounds like a good approach. As I am learning each and every day, there is more than one way to skin a database cat!!

Thanks again to all for the assistance........... yay.gif

This topic is 7249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.