Really Slow Script

This topic is 8249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a Tests.fp5 file that contains multiple test results for multiple students across multiple grades. I have a Grade field containing the student's grade in school (K-5) when Test X was taken. With this info I need to create a Kindergarten_ID, FirstGrade_ID, SecondGrade_ID, etc. so that I can use the data in a variety of portals. I wrote the following script for each grade, then wrote a script which performs each of the six scripts to create the IDs all at once. (I know I could have written one script, but I don't think that would solve my problem.)

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Loop

If["Students::Grade="5""]

SetField["FifthGrade_ID","Students::Grade"]

End If

Go to Record/Request/Page [Exit after last, Next]

End Loop

It works, but it takes many minutes to do (There are currently 9000 records, but that will grow.)

Any ideas how to create the ID fields quicker? Thanks.

Susan

you can try putting a "freeze window" script step at the begining of the script. i know it doesnt sound like it would solve the problem, but i had a script that took 3 to 4 minutes to run once, i put a "freeze window" script step at the begining, and not it takes about 1 minute to run. by using the freeze window script, the computer has to do less work because it doesn't have to redraw the screen everytime you go to the next record. It may or may not work for you, and i am far from an expert, but it is worth a try.

Freeze window helps a bit, but I find if you use GOTO FIELD before your set field group and then use EXIT RECORD directly after that it speeds things up. However this is in multiple set field routines (as in 10 or 20 per record)that I find an increase in performance. Have you considered a "Replace" script routine that uses a calculation equal to your parameters?

This topic is 8249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.