Updater failed (7.0v1 to 7.0v2)

This topic is 7254 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Did anyone else have their Updater fail?

Mine failed in the last half of updating, with a message something like "Updater could not complete", and even a re-install of the full FMP 7 and re-run of the Updater had no effect.

So imagine my surprise to find that a restart and opening of FMP (not from the .old archive) works, and shows it's version number as 7v2?

Is there any way to tell that the installation did actually complete? E.g. a noticeable feature in 7.0v2?

Thanks for any confidence you can give me. wink.gif

Cheers,

Justin

Not sure this will prove the update actually completed, but it will prove you have (some) v2 functionality...

Create a new file and test to see if unique or existing validations trigger after you tab out of a field (v2 behavior) as opposed to when you commit the record (v1 behavior)

Consult the readme with the update for more info on what has changed.

SR

Your best bet probably is to remove FM7 completely, reinstall and apply the patch. It could just be that the first thing the updater does is change the version #. You can't be sure all changes were made properly.

So far there have been few reports of updater problems. I had one (FM7v2 would freeze when I did a select all after applyint the patch). Problems went away after reinstalling FM7 and redoing the patch.

• 4 weeks later...

If on Macos X, one could try to log in as root user (activaty first through the netinfo manager) and install like that.

I've not heard or read yet why or how exactly, nor whether this is FM-specific or a more general problem, but sometimes the user rights seem to be a bit questionable on this UNIX based OS.

For the rest, some antivirus software can wreak havoc with FileMaker installations. Deactivate them during the installation.

This topic is 7254 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.