User installation of a multi file solution

This topic is 7231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello. I've made a small solution that consists of four files: assignments.fp5, software.fp5, computers.fp5 and help.fp5. Assignments is the "front end" that the user sees, it's mostly portals, etc into software and computers, and help is obviously a help file db.

Right now, assignments.fp5 lives in the top level of the folder containing all of the above files, as I want the user to see it and click it (and not the others) to begin. I've put the others in another folder w/in this folder called "closet." The closet folder contains the support files that the user will not double click to open. My question is this: How do I have a user install this so that assignments.fp5 will be able to find the others when trying to pull the necessary data into its portals? I've toyed w/the idea of writing a sort of "installer" applescript that will move the folder containing all the files to the user's applications folder, but if he wants to move it, I'm afraid he'll get the dreaded "can't find the file. . ." message.

Anyone know a trick for this? I hope this is the correct section of this forum for this post.

You can put all of your files in one folder. Write small startup scripts that open your main file and close the one the user clicked on. On the Edit Menu, go to Preferences, Document, and have the startup script run when the file is opened. The user will always see your main file and layout.

Steve

If you mean "how can I stop users moving the files from their folders and generally stuffing up the system?"

You cannot.

Letting them know that you charge $100 per hour (minimum charge 2 hours) may be a suitable disincentive for them to fiddle.

This topic is 7231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.