Portal Paranioa

RSpisketts

This topic is 7270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Folks,

Creating and using portals...

I want a portal to do exactly what "Table View" does (don't ask why), so I go into relationship view, pick my table and drag a key field (ID) back onto itself (self-join). Then in layout mode, I assign my layout to use the new table, but refering to the fields in the old table (seems to be the way to get it to work).

The portal looks pretty and adds to a feeling of euphoria, but both "Find" and "Sort" seem to do nothing. "Find" returns all records whatever you enter in the fields and "Sort" sorts it exactly as it already is.

Any ideas :

RSpisketts,

By saying "don't ask why", and then not giving details about how there's a *portal* on your new layout at all (as opposed to fields specified to point to the other table), you've left me baffled. Clearly, you have some application in mind, which makes you feel "euphoria" at partial progress, but frustration at not being able to do completely what you really want?

What do you want a portal *from* -- from each record in a table to *all* records in that table? To do this, however, you wouldn't want to match by ID, but to do a cartesian join (X) on the ID field between two table occurrences...

At any rate, a Find or a Sort will always work on the "home" table records, and it will not reduce the population of (nor change the sort order of) a given portal associated with any given home record...

If you want to make a portal with a virtual "find" (using global relations) and/or virtual "column sort" (using scripted buttons), I'm quite sure there are some sample files in the forum archives doing that sort of thing...

This topic is 7270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.