Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 7165 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Just got word from Amazon that *Learn FileMaker Pro 7* has been shipped to me. Anybody seen this yet? (Hopefully it's worth the $25!)

Are there any other v 7 books out there yet? (Other than *Sams Teach Yourself FileMaker 7 in 24 Hours*--which isn't worth the money; too basic and simplistic, though it might do to get someone with no FM experience started--though they'd outgrow it in a few weeks.)

RD

I would recommend the Virtual Trianing Companies FileMaker Pro 7 training CD as a learning tool. it goes from basics to advanced.

ht http://www.vtc.com/products/filemaker7.htm tp://www.vtc.com

Here at FMPug we have already given one copy of this away at the Central Florida group, with another copy this month for the Central Florida, Kennedy Space Center and San Diego groups.

You can also get access cards to view any of their titles via the web (we gave 5 access cards away last month too!).

If you want to get an extra 15% discount on the VTC products, stop by FMPug ( http://www.fmpug.com ) and sign up to our newsletter. All FMPug subscribers get access to special disocunt deals with our contributors.

I've been browsing this book a bit now; haven't read it all or even most of it, but for those wanting some initial feedback, I'd say it's a lot better than *Sams Teach Yourself FM7 in 24 Hours* (by J. Feiler). It still starts as an intro for novices, but ramps up to heftier material than Feiler's. The joint authorship--not only the FM "expert" (J. Stars) but also with a college prof who teaches technical writing and a FM curriculum developer/trainerher college--combine to make for a much better written book. A lot less wasted space with needless screen shots and no superflous wide margins makes for a actual "book-sized" book that's mostly content. Thus far, I like what I've seen. This won't be the ultimate reference book that covers everything, but it will serve well as a manual and tutorial for FM7 up to an intermediate level (the cover says Intro to advanced, but that's perhaps a bit high). This could very well serve as a college-level textbook for teaching FM. And now I'll go read some more of it! smile.gif

RDecker

• 3 weeks later...

I have submitted a review of Learn FileMaker Pro 7 to the Amazon.com Web site. I gave it four stars, not five. I agree with RDecker--the book is for Intermediate-level developers, not Advanced ones.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my book at Devcon it is a great book if you are interested in purchasing this book click the link below FM Forums will get coin from your purchase. :

• 3 weeks later...

*Special Edition Using FileMaker 7* (ISBN 0789730286) is now out--about 1,100 pages. Looks impressive though I haven't had it long enough to judge it yet. List price is $45, but it can be found on the web for less than $30. I think Stars is still the best intro vol., but this will pick up where that one leaves off and take you a *lot* further.

RD

This topic is 7165 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.