Reports -Don't know Where to Start

This topic is 8183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok guys another dumb novice question...As I said before I am working on a db that tracks discipline for a School principal. I need to develop several reports but do not know how. My files: student,teacher,rules,punishment,referrals. The reports that I need help with are ones derived from the file referrals which contain the following fields:Referral ID,Date,Time,Student ID,Teacher ID,Punishment ID,Primary Rule,Secondary rule,Incident Description,Punish start date,Punish end date,Return Date,Punish Days,Current Date. The reports I need to generate are of the following:# of referrals by teacher, # of referrals by student, # of referrals in day,week,month and average, top rules broken, list of referrals by each student. BTW a referral is when a teacher/bus driver refers the student to the office for punishment. Where do I start?

I am still not sure what exactly to do. I understand all reports should come out of the referral file, but how do I build one or some of these reports. Are there fields I need to add to my file? Calculations? I am just uncertain where to start. Thanks-Any Help is appreciated. I am not making a dime off of this.

Get a book or two on Filemaker Pro and read them cover to cover. Read the Filemaker manual cover to cover. Then look in the online help. Use Filemaker's built in wizards to create reporting layouts.

While reporting is not very difficult, it is not really possible without a foundation of knowledge of Filemaker, it seems pretty obvious that this is what you are lacking. The about should give you that foundation and should answer your questions.

quote:

Originally posted by CaptKurt:

Get a book or two on Filemaker Pro and read them cover to cover. Read the Filemaker manual cover to cover....While reporting is not very difficult, it is not really possible without a foundation of knowledge of Filemaker...

I recommend Coulombre & Price's Special Edition Using FileMaker Pro 5 -- I learned more about FileMaker and *essential* fundamentals of relational database design in one reading than I had in nearly a decade of playing around with the program.

ISBN 0-7897-2201-1

quote:

Originally posted by The Bridge:

I recommend Coulombre & Price's Special Edition Using FileMaker Pro 5 -- I learned more about FileMaker and *essential* fundamentals of relational database design in one reading than I had in nearly a decade of playing around with the program.

ISBN 0-7897-2201-1

I am sure Rich would be gratified to hear this. He worked really hard on that book.

The days of "playing around" with FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server are over. Fully 80 percent of the problems reported or expressed by people in various email lists, forums, etc. related to FMP derive from the "knowledge" gained by "playing around".

As Will Rodgers observed:

"It's not what you don't know that hurts you, it's waht you know that isn't so."

That's why people like Rich write these books.

Old Advance Man

quote:

Originally posted by Old Advance Man:

As Will Rodgers observed:

"It's not what you don't know that hurts you, it's waht you know that isn't so."

That sums it up pretty nicely.

I don't know who to give credit for this one, but it crops up a lot in my conversation these days: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

This topic is 8183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.