layout whitespace question

sim0ntk

This topic is 7236 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

hello i'm new to the forums~ and to filemaker as well, i recently got filemaker 7 to upgrade my company's old filemaker 3.0 database from about 10 years ago. for one of the databases i'm rebuilding is a photo database which i've been using the built-in template that comes with filemaker 7 ( i think its photo catalog). while this is working quite well, i've changed the layout around so that its on a darker background to fit my companys logo and colour scheme better (lol this is a design company no one here really cares if it works as long as it looks good grin.gif). however, i keep running into a whitespace proble in the thumbnails section, where if their are not enough records to fill the page the rest are just imported as a white space. is there anyway to get rid of this whitespace??

i've filled about every field/button i can find on this thing with a darker background but its still white frown.gif

thanks in advance

First, I'll tell you how FileMaker is producing that Thumnail page, in case you don't know; it's quite clever. It's going to a regular list view, with the Body a little more than thumbnail height, set to print as 3 columns. By going into Preview mode and copying the 1st page, it gets a "contact page" on the clipboard, which it then pastes into a global field, which is what shows on the Thumbnail layout as the contact sheet; ie., not the containers themselves. There are invisible buttons over each "square" where the picture should be. You can change the sizes somewhat if you want; but you have to know how it works.

So go to the Labels 3x4 layout and change the Body color to your desired background color. The container field, Image Thumnbnail Display (too long), should also be either the background color or transparent.

BTW, they did NOT update their "Go to record" scripts for version 7. Each of the square "thumbnail buttons" is running a different script (1-15) just to set the parameter, then another central script to go to the record. It could all be done with 1 script (or 2), by including the number as a parameter. Shame on them for being so lazy; it's not a good example of 7's efficiency as it is, and it takes very little time to update (it's a little tricky though, make the darn buttons visible temporarily).

2 scripts method (assign numbers 1-15 as parameters):

Go to Record

Set Field ["Photo Catalog::Scratch Text", "Get ( ScriptParameter )"]

Perform Script ["Go to Record Number in Scratch"]

1 script method (assign numbers 1-15 as parameters):

Add

Set Field ["Photo Catalog::Scratch Text", "Get ( ScriptParameter )"]

to the top of the "Go to Record Number in Scratch" script

This topic is 7236 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.