basic printing issue

George Swisher

This topic is 7216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a form that prints out in a letter format. The data is a sum field of 15 fields and compiles all the date from those 15 fields.

I have a firm created for print view but sometimes the data is longer than one page.

How can I get reports to print in letter format when the data is longer that one page?

You should give any field on your layout as much space as the LONGEST value in a record is likely to need. You'll probably have to drag the lower boundary of the layout's Body section so that the body section is able to accommodate your long field. You'll see a grey/broken link indicate when you're dragging across the page break (i.e., when your layout's body is more than one page long).

The real trick to making this approach work for records that are *not* so long is to use the Layout's Format >> Sliding/Printing options to specify that certain field(s) will "shrink" and allow other things (like the page footer) to remain close to the body of the record in cases where the record has little data. Be sure to tell it to "Also reduce the size of the enclosing part".

Beware that FM is prone to "clip" a line of text that falls exactly at a page-break. If you're using a single font with a predictable line-height, you may be able to work around this by adjusting your field's vertical position so that its lines of text straddle the page break neatly.

This topic is 7216 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.