Sub-Summary Sorts in List View???

RWX

This topic is 7210 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone. I'm having a little trouble creating a layout. Maybe it's just Friday and I'm burnt out :-) ...or maybe I'm going about this all wrong. Either way, I need a little help! Here goes...

I have a Notes table containing client notes. This table relates to several other tables including a Clients table and a Users table. We don't need to worry about the Clients table right now. Notes can serve as tasks by adding a due date. If there's no due date, a flag defines the record as a note. If there is a due date, the note becomes a task. When the note becomes a task, it must also have a task owner. This is how the note record relates to the Users table. That should give you a good idea of how things are set up.

What I want to do is create a list view for the Notes table. A script will first perform a find for, for example, all overdue tasks. It will then switch to this list view and list all tasks it found. So far, so good. No problems. However, I want this list view to group the tasks by owner, with the owner name appearing above his/her list of tasks. For example:

John Smith

---------

Task 1

Task 2

Task 3

Jane Doe

-------

Task 1

Task 2

Task 3

I'm sure you get the idea...I've tried adding a sub-summary part when sorted by the user's last name in the related Users table. This works fine when viewing the layout in Preview mode, but not Browse mode.

What am I missing??? This seems like it should be really simple to do, but is it not possible???

Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

>>I've tried adding a sub-summary part when sorted by the user's last name in the related Users table. This works fine when viewing the layout in Preview mode, but not Browse mode.

That's how sub-summaries work. They only show sub-summary parts in Preview Mode or on printouts. To view this in browse mode you would need to use a portal from your User table.

So what you're saying is that it is not possible to create a list view that is grouped in some way? I can see how using a portal from the Users table would work and I'll definitely go that route if none other is available.

Thanks!

-Rob

This topic is 7210 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.