Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't open file -- max file size has been reached

This topic is 7054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A client of mine managed to attach too many high-resolution photos to a database...which then crashed. Now, I can't open it to delete the photos, and I keep getting the error message that Filemaker is "searching for more room in file" and then that "maximum file size has been reached." Indeed, the file is slightly over 2 gigabytes, which I know is the limit. What do I do now? I just want to get into the file and delete the images (and not lose the data). I tried to recover the file (in Windows), but that didn't work.

Would not a tick in the box to store a 'reference only' to the picture when inserting the picture into a container field decrease the file size in FMP? If you tick the box, then the picture, or scan, or whatever, is stored separate to the FM program file. I certainly hope it is, as we are faced with the same problem of having a great number of digital photos, and may end up with about 50 gb stored on the hard disk. Is there any way to make the 'insert picture' box default to the 'tick' active, to make sure our input angels do not forget to do it?

Rex

• 4 months later...

Converting the file to FM7 works just like Vaughan came up with. I was able to see all of the information. I then exported it as a .mer file, which can easily be imported into a blank V5/6 database. The only problem with that is all of the container fields are "lost", since containers can only be exported as a FM7 type of file. So you lose all of the scans, but at least the text info can be recovered. If there is another method of preserving the images through this method, I would be very happy to hear about it!

The whole process took me about 4 hours, and that was mainly waiting on FM7 conversion.

I haven't found any way to make that "reference only' CB stay checked. I have put in a text description on the layout to remind users to check this from now on.

This topic is 7054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.