Web Companion Email Error -101

Vaughan

This topic is 7152 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

MacOS X 10.2.8 (and 10.1.5) FMP 6.0v4 with WC 6.0v3.

I have major problems sending e-mail through web Companion. It was working a month or so ago, but it has broken. No changes to FMP computer config, but some changes have been made to the corporate e-mail system. The mail techos reckon the changes should not affect anything.

The web browsing experience is perfect, only the mail is never sent from WC. An error is logged in the Error.log file, Error -101. This does not appear to be a FMP error code, I have searched TechInfo and FMP Help files and cannot determine what it means.

Help! I am really stumped on this.

I have set up a new test bed using very simple database and CDML format files, but it's still broken.

The CDML format file is:

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<TITLE>Details</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">

<FORM ACTION="FMPro" METHOD="post">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-DB" VALUE="Test.fp5">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-Lay" VALUE="web">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-error" VALUE="error.htm">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-format" VALUE="reply.htm">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-mailTo" VALUE="[email protected]">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-mailSub" VALUE="Test message">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-mailFrom" VALUE="[email protected]">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-mailHost" VALUE="postoffice.uts.edu.au">

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-mailFormat" VALUE="mail.txt">

Send e-mail to [fmp-field: name] <INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="-View" VALUE="Send">

</FORM>

</BODY>

</HTML>

The error message written to Error.log is:

[26/Aug/2004:15:52:33 +1000] ERROR: -101. Error occurred while sending email.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, V! If it were anyone else, I'd say, "go ask Vaughan" but...

If you can check your code outside the company, I'd wager that any "Vaughan" code works like a charm so this tends to make me suspect your changed mail system. FMP sends mail from itself with no verification or login... Mail servers can be configured to reject unauthenticated user mail to help deny spammers and/or various mail filters and anti-spam code can weed out such messages even though in your case they are ok. I'd suggest you ask your techs if the new system has such safeguards. Maybe they can allow outbound messages from your FM server's IP address (allow SMTP relay). Either that, or you can try to use another server. I suppose you can even run your own e-mail server if you have to.... you have OS X machines, right? It just needs to have Sendmail or PostFix active and accessible (not sure if these are pre-installed in X client or not). The FROM: line will be taken from whatever your FM solution says, anyway.

--ST

• 4 weeks later...

Vaughan, did you ever figure this out?

I am having the exact same problem, except with Mac OS X 10.3. Also, this is my first attempt to send e-mail using FileMaker, so I can't say for certain that it *isn't* FileMaker or my CDML.

However, it really sounds like your problem is on the e-mail server side. Did you ever track that down?

Checking a little further on my own mail server, I find lines like the following in my mail server's logs, which exactly correspond, time-wise, to the errors showing up in Error.log (which Vaughan describes above, so I won't repeat):

Oct 18 23:48:51 ballista sm-mta[6327]: i9J6mp1X006327: trebuchet.xxx.com [192.168.1.3] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

I never really found a solution. It appears that the particular mail software wasn't p-laying with FMP Web Companion. When tested against an unsupported backup mail server running different software the WC worked OK.

However this backup server ultimately stopped working when WC tried to send mail with over 100 To recipients to it.

In the end I gave up because the e-mail techno-weenies didn't really want to dig deep to help me solve the problem, and I've since left the organisation.

Web Companion as we know it is gone in FMP 7, so it's all pretty moot.

Sorry.

This topic is 7152 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.