Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Choose from self-related list IWP wCategories

This topic is 7097 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is a further enhancement of the Find, with a twist. It combines a regular "filter by category choice" with a later "find with category."

It is for data which is categorized, and which does not lend itself to an alphabetical filter (such as people's names do); but which may lend itself to an optional Find, once the data has been narrowed down by a preliminary category choice.

There's actually some documentation in the file. It is especially built for Instant Web Publishing. It has not been extensively tested, so let me know if something is kinky.

FoodsIWP_wFind.zip

Hi Fenton,

I'm guessing that these files that you have add today were were done in v7, but would please add bit of information your description so we'll know for sure without having to download.

TIA

Lee

• 2 months later...

Hi Fenton,

I really like "self-related list IWP wCategories" but for my needs I need the following to occur.

eg. when I click on the character "S" under vegetable

Brussel Sprouts always appears

I would like to use this simple db but I really require the following. Is there a way that when I press on a character that only the first character appears... Is it just a simple script change and if so what would that be :

This is how I would like it to work:

eg. when I click on the character "S" under vegetable

Brussel Sprouts = Will not appear

Stringy Beans = Will appear

and

eg. when I click on the character "B" under vegetable

Brussel Sprouts = Will appear

Stringy Beans = Will not appear

many thanks

jeffe

Hi Fenton,

I have tried the other file, but not to my liking. I like self-related list IWP wCategories as you can also choose different catagories. So what I am looking for is very similar to self-related list IWP wCategories but with search feature like the one from lawcasesIWP.

thanks again

jeffe

OK, that is more like a regular filtered portal, which is easier than combining a Find with a portal. In order to invoke a "show all entries for a category" (by clearing the letter), it involves "concatenating" the Category global to the Letter global (if it's there). This matches a similar concatenated calculation field, so it is kind of wasteful of disk space; much less so if you're using an ID for the Category instead of a name. But I left it simple.

If you don't need to "show all", then you can use an AND relationship, Category AND Letter.

FoodsIWP_wCat.zip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.