Converting from fm6 to fm7 questions

This topic is 7175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Need some ideas here. I have a fm6 relational db with 7 files. Can I and How do I do the following: I would love to end up with a single file with multiple tables utilizing fm7's strengths. Can I hand create the new single file and 7 tables and then somehow convert and import my 7 individual fm6 files into this new single db of 7 tables (or more occurrances as necessary). Then I somehow need to import my scripts and layouts. No clue on that. None of the documentation I read so far is very good on explaining any of the above. HELP!!

Mike

Mleiser,

There is documentation from FileMaker, but they sugarcoat the reality: Its not as easy as it sounds. I don't know how many scripts you have, but if it is not a ton, I would consider re-authoring the database. It gives you the opportunity to optimize the programming for 7.0. If there are too many, there are a lot of postings on this in the FileMaker 7.0 forum. In fact, I have answered a lot of them, so just pull my postings to find them easier.

If you want to do it manually then

Step-I:

Convert all the fmp6 files to .fp7 file. Pick the Main file and create all the other tables( by defining the fields manually). create all the relationship with the table occurrence same as the relationship name in Fp6 file.

Step-II:

Now you can create all layouts and the content of the layout you can create by simply coping them.and you can import all the script from the converted fp7 files.

Try this .Hope this would help you.

Thanks. Finally someone got back to me. I thought I was gone to the big FM forum in the sky! Anyway,

1. As far as the layouts go, how best to copy them and get all the fields and such.

2. For scripts you mentioned importing them. Is that a function of FM6, FM7?

Thanks again for the comeback.

Mike

Hi Mleiser,

First try to migrate 2 FMP6 file and try to merge them .you will undersnad then.

1. About coping the layout if u copy the layout after defining the fields and relationship make sure that table name ,field name and relationship name should be same.You have to set the backgroud colors after copy paste the layout(select all and paste)

2. For imoprting the script of FMP6 script

Convert the individual file to FMP7 file . Now while merging you just Import the FMP7(migrated ) script to the merge File. .For that Go to Script tab in Menu Bar. Go to ScriptMaker. It will open you the list of scripts , the 3rd button is Import .Give the filepath(converted FMP7file) and import all the script.

Bharti smile.gif

This topic is 7175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.