Server Maintenance This Week. ×

perform script when changing a field value.

This topic is 8123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

just a few questions on when and how to perform a script.

* can i perform a script when a field value changes ie. when user changes fielda script performs: if fielda="option1" goto layout "1" if fielda="option2" goto layout 2

* can i perform a script before i exit a record. used for exteral error checking.

* is it possible to modify a calculated record? i have lookup fields that use a field that may be changed later so i need to 'relookup' the result. if i could modify a calculated field it would be simpler.

thats all for now. shocked.gif" border="0 any help will be greatly appreciated.

The first two items can only be done with a plug-in. It used to be called "Script Scheduler" but I think the name has changed. others here will know more.

Calculated fields (not records) cannot be modified. However you can set the layout to give the appearance that the calc field is being modified. You need two fields -- one the calc field. Arrange them on the layout so the calc field is behind the other field. The calculationcould be:

If (IsEmpty(otherfield), calculation, otherfield)

If the other field is empty, it dicplays the calculation. If the other field is not empty the calc displays the otherfield value.

On the layout, format the calc field to not allow entry. When the user clicks into the fields, they enter the other field and can change the data.

This topic is 8123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.