Should I Buy Developer??

Strouss

This topic is 7242 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am a business owner that is designing a solution that fits my organization very well. How would Developer 7 benefit me over Pro 7? Would it be worth the purchase? The only thing I can see would be the script debugger but I'm not sure I would use that much. Any Comments?

Mateo:

Developer has two major advantages over FMP - the script debugger & the ability to create runtimes. If you can get by without the script debugger, and if the solution is an in-house solution, then you don't particularly need it. I myself use the script debugger very very little, and I create very complicated solutions.

I'd say, if you haven't found a need for it yet, don't bother yet. If you find you need the tools in the future, go out and buy it. If your solution becomes very complicated, you'll find a use for Developer. Until then, I'd say there's no need to buy something that may just sit on the shelf.

-Stanley

It should be noted that Developer now ships with a 3-user development license of FM Server Advanced - can be handy if you are developing web accessible databases using custom web publishing. The license is for development only though. You still need a commercial license to deploy FMS Advanced.

If your solution is good, people will notice. I saw a very nice FM solution created at a computer retail/repair shop for their personal business that tracked their repairs.

When I complimentd the creator, he stated that I wasn't the only one, and that he recently purchased Developer and had already sold several runtime solutions (I believe runtimes are not networkable)

As a novice, I found the script debugger very helpful, but I also have a lot of intricate calculations and scripts, well, as intricate as a novice can be . . .

This topic is 7242 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.