table as field?

This topic is 7168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I wonder if it is possible to have a a table as a field? I'm aware of the table function, but apparently that pertains having records in rows and fields in colums. I guess what I'm looking for is something akin to a repeating field for which I could have multiple rows and assign headers. Thus, each "row" would behave as an entity and "cell" of that row a seperate data item attributed to that row--all wrapped up in a single field. Thanks in advance.

I searched the forum and could't find an answer.

Hi cam,

Welcome to the Forums.

As you might suspect, this topic has come up before wink.gif

I did a search for Spreadsheet and pulled up this Thread Click Here to Go.

There is a current thread, within the last week I think, that is discussing Cross Tab Reports that may be of help.

Lee

cool.gif

• Newbies

Thanks for the response.

I am trying to keep it as a single database, and it appears the Portal feature requires relationship(s) with a 2 or more DBs, or with a Self Join between different records of the same file. Also what I've been able to gather from Cross Tab Reports doesn't seem to fit what I want to do. As a newbee, perhaps I'm missing something.

I was hoping to develop somthing that looks like the attached image. The image is roughly the way I want it to look, but the variable fields are all independant and don't scroll together as I would like. As the number of items is unknown and will change as the DB grows, repeating fields doesn't seem the way to go either (unless I wan't to keep updating the Field format--which I don't).

Any other suggestions before I consider using a Portal with a second DB?

FieldTable.jpg

Hi, c! I agree w/Lee and you should be able to get pretty much exactly what you want with a self-join relationship and the just drop your desired fields in the portal. The portal will show all applicable records as they are created/edited immediately in the portal.

--ST

This topic is 7168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.