Server Maintenance This Week. ×

kiosk mode and preview

This topic is 8087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want my users to view out a specific report in preview mode, which therefore enables sliding/shrinking etc, and gives them an indea of what the printed page will look like.

I would also like them to have the option to print the report (or not).

To get to this particular layout, the user can press a button from any one of 30 other layouts, which then flags the last viewed layout/record in two global fields.

When the user finishes previewing/printing, I want them to go back to the last (non-report) layout.

the script goes something tlike this

Show all

Omit

Show omitted

go to layout x

enter preview mode (pause)

///////I had to get the pause here to give the the chance to see the pages///////

perform subscript ( print report)

///////the print report subscript uses error capturing so that if it is canceled, then the user is taken to the last (non-report) layout they originally came from

When the user finishes previewing/printing, I want them to go back to the last (non-report) layout///////

My problem is as follows:

1.Once the layout is in preview mode, then there are no usable buttons at all on the screen, apart from the status bar. If I want to have the solution in Kiosk mode then what happens? I have trawled through the documentation,and there soesn't seem to be an answer!

2.If the cancel button is pushed on the status bar, it does not seem to generate any error codes so I can't error trap for it, and then the users get stuck in this layout, although it does go back to browse mode. I would like the user tobe taken back tothe original(non-report) layout if they cancel the script at this point

Bright ideas anyone?

Personally I ALWAYS show the status bar in preview mode, so that the user has both a big continue button and is able to scroll the pages. I do NOT allow them to cancel at this point.

Once they press continue, I prompt them with the question of whether or not they want to print what they have just seen. If so, it then provides the print dialog. Either way it returns them to where they were before the printing.

Kiosk or not, this is what I consider to be the best way to do this.

Thanks for the quick answer.

I'm glad that there isn't something I'm missing - I'll stop banging my head against the monitor and move on to the next bug....

It's just a bit of a shame that preview mode is otherwise so restrictive frown.gif

There is a funky workaround involving Copy while in Preview mode, then back to Browse and plop the whole thing into a container field. The gory details are here . Enjoy! shocked.gif

I found a little useful trick whils experimenting. If use "User abort off" then the cance button disppears, and I go to the print subscript when continue is pressed. Then I can trap for the cancellation of the print script.

I was dimly aware of the "Preview in Browse Mode with live buttons" trick but havent't tried it.

This topic is 8087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.