Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Host loading twice!

LaRetta

This topic is 7148 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is probably more a network problem than an FM problem but since FM keeps hanging, I need to resolve it. It isn't just our Host that is loading twice - just about everything is. crazy.gif

I spent my day disconnecting mapped drives - each system had approx. 20 each. They were mapped to everyone elses systems - many folders and ALSO their c:. They were even mapped to everyone's CDs. After a fresh boot on one system (which took 10 minutes), I opened My Computer. It took 5 minutes to open. Then I [ctrl-alt-del] and yep ... TWO My Computers listed! We use Win2000 sp4 (I think). I'm not the network consultant. I began 'unsharing' all the shared folders.

We upgraded from 98 to XP Professional and I've noticed a new firewall. I've disabled it. That seemed to help but not resolve it. Many restrictions were on each HD and most folders so even the Users couldn't access them -- everything seems to be shared and restricted at the same time. If I created a new FP7, it brought up the Host drive directory!! If I changed the drive back to local and stored the file there, then when I opened it, FM began running it's installation (thinking, I guess, that FM didn't even exist on the system.)

It *feels* like a system can't access itself directly - has to go through the network and access itself only from the Owners system. Good grief. When I disconnect something, it says it was already loaded 3 other times and should it disconnect that also? I say of course. I need FM up and running again. I don't care if anything else is even accessible!

Any bits of direction at this point would be most appreciated. We access the host via Opener (Vaughan's) which performs sub-script in host file. The file reference is set to fmnet:/ipaddress/filename.fp7. Oh yes, networking is lots of fun ... hairout.gifwink.gif

LaRetta

It makes no sense that when I create a new fp7 it brings up the host directory as default instead of local. Even after I've change the directory and created a new file - it reverts back to the host directory. And it makes no sense that, when I then attempt to open that newly created fp7 (stored on my hard drive), FM starts running the Install program instead of opening it. FM ran fine to MAKE the silly thing! It should identify it to open it!! This is on EVERY system so I don't believe there is anything wrong with FileMaker program.

Owner thinks it's FM because Word doesn't load itself twice ... only FileMaker, My Computer, My Network Places, printer programs and others. I'm also attempting to bump this because maybe someone knows how I can re-specify FM to look locally? I see no way to change that default. I thought I read that FM now provided the full path. Can I change it and force it to look on Drive C? crazy.gif

Anyone? Anything? I'll feed furiously on scraps at this point. I am out of options and I'm running out of time. smirk.gif

LaRetta

Well, that is most bizarre. And you say it happens on all systems. Me thinks its an installation problem. How are the copies of filemaker installed: off a CD or off a network volume? With a silent install?

When does FM seem to be re-installing itself: when you double-click a file?

Thank you for responding. smile.gif

Owner performed installation from CD. Used licensed copies. They have all worked fine for two months. Now after software upgrades the problems start. He had also installed Zone Alarm upgrade and then uninstalled it. I explained that changes should only be done one at a time. As in design, if something doesn't work right, it's then easier to identify the problem. With so many things done, pinpointing the problem is difficult. Owner thinks it's FM. But it was all running fine hosted until these upgrades were performed!

FM quit double-loading after I disconnected approx. 45 maps, removed sharing restrictions and disconnected the new WinXP firewall. But it would still run FM install when double-clicking directly onto an fp7 - from three different computers!! Owner thinks FM corrupted but I disagree. It wouldn't corrupt on three systems. We reinstalled FM on one system and it fixed the problem and it'll now open an fp7; however, until the system is rebooted, I don't trust that.

And the problem remains in that all computers only look to the host first when creating and storing a newly created file. And even the host can not find it's own files in the same folder as itself even though the file reference only points to files in the same folder as itself. I have NEVER renamed the files nor the folders. On stand-alone system, everything works perfectly. When hosted, if host file needs one of its aux files, I get message 'file can't be found'. When I manually point to it - in the same directly as the host, it repeats that it can't be found.

I have been hosting this file through the network for two months with not one bit of problem. And I have been creating FM files test files on my desktop locally for 3 months with no problem. We have 4 users and host direct networked all licensed. Host is Developer. I have created test fp7 files on my desktop for months and double-clicking them opens them ... until ugrades from Win98 to XP Professional on three other systems, upgrade Win2000 pack (sorry owner did it, I don't know what he did) and upgrade of WinXP Professional on all systems. The problem started immediately after these software changes in the network on all systems. Owner also added two new computers into the mix.

All I know is on stand-alone my solution can't be broken no matter. But when hosted after the upgrades, it can't find itself anymore. Static IP, using fmnet.

This topic is 7148 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.