XML and web page layout/design question

ibiubu

This topic is 7167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We are currently using v6 of FM to host web pages. We need to start doing some delivery in foreign languages. For this our best solution is going to be FM7 with its Unicode support. I have a question about my transition over to XML:

Our current solution relies HEAVILY upon very specific web page layout and design. For example:

1. Tables. Certain cells are encased in [FMP-If] statements to indicate whether or not the cell contents get displayed. The table and cells are all set to specific widths and heights.

2. Use of text boxes encased in [FMP-If] statements. Text boxes are again place in specific places on the page using specific dimensions.

3. Check boxes encased in [FMP-If] statements. Very percise palcement on the page.

4. [FMP-IncludeField] that pulls the name of an entire HTML page from FM, then this entire web page is displayed.

Am I going to have even remotely this amount of design control with cascading style sheets and XML? I have over 100 existing CDML pages that will have to be switched over to XML.

Would it be easier under these circumstances to use a middleware solution like Lasso? With Lasso would I be able to just use my existing 100 or so HTML pages and just go in and replace the CDML tags with Lasso tags?

Larry

This topic is 7167 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.