Opening hosted files automatically.

This topic is 8016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to automatically open files hosted on another subnet

Right now users have to click Hosts - Choose the specific hostname - Wait for the db-list to appear - Select a correct file and click Open.

If this could be scripted from a simple opener file it would greatly simplify things for end-users.

Actually it may very well work on earlier versions depending on the OS of the guest CPU.

And just to be clear, you can not longer upgrade to or purchase (except back channel) either FileMaker Pro 5 or FileMaker Server 5. Both products went EOL some time ago. FileMaker Server 5.5 and FileMaker Pro 5.5 are the current options as of this time.

Old Advance Man

Thanks, with upgrade to fp5 I meant the file format, were indeed trying the trial versions of 5.5 at the moment.

I actually tried the above mentioned URL link (fmp5://[password@]domain/filename) but couldn't get it to work. If anyone could offer a little help I'd appreciate.

Thanks again,

Andries

• 1 month later...

The fmp5: protocol only becomes valid after installation of FMP 5.5.

I'm on a Mac, so I had to set the the Internet Config HELPERS to apply the fmp5: protocol to FMP 5.5.

Not sure on Windoze.

Jumping in... a "launcher file" is a term we use for a FileMaker file that resides on a local machine that is used to open databases that reside on a server. The most common use is simply to let users open served databases without having to go through the Open... Hosts... dialog.

This topic is 8016 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.