Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Scroll Wheel, Please

This topic is 7082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• 2 months later...

Queue -

If status area is displayed, scroll wheel will scroll you through the current found records.

If status area is locked, scroll wheel does nothing.

In layout mode scroll wheel acts like any other "normal" program in that it will scroll up and down the current window.

What "we" want is the ability to scroll up and down the current layout (aka window) in browse mode.

I agree, too. (Although i have a tiny amendment to your statement, kiwiora, which you probably already know -- if the status area is hidden and unlocked, the scroll wheel still flips through records. It is only when it is hidden AND locked that the scroll wheel does nothing in browse mode.)

I've had several situations where a user has completely screwed his data because he used the scroll wheel, thinking it would move him down a layout, and then didn't realize he had flipped to a different record.

IMHO, this is a feature designed for list-view type programs like Excel and not suitable for form view in FMP. I'd like to see it banished as well.

J

I would contend that a layout which forces users to scroll in Browse Mode is one that is a prime candidate for tabularization. Rarely, if ever, should users be forced to scroll, unless of course, they are using a monitor that maxes at 640 X 480. wink.gif

True-- which is why we don't make it necessary for users to scroll down a layout, but instead tabularize our forms (more or less). But if a user (a) is expecting more layout below even when it's not there and tries to scroll to it, or (:oaccidentally uses the scroll wheel, he's still screwed.

It's nice to have it there for those of us who can be trusted, but for many users, it's more of a liability than anything.

Soapbox.gif I remain unconvinced.

J

This topic is 7082 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.