Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Restricting report data: portal, many-to-many join

RDecker

This topic is 7123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have one portion of a solution which lists groups of which a person is a part. The groups are listed in another table, with a join table to connect them. There are multiple groups, and each person can be a member of multiple groups. I display the groups in the people table with a portal. I also use a sub-summary to generate a report of group members. If I want a list of only one group, I do a find on the group number in the portal, then script the appropriate sort and switch to Preview in the report layout. The first page is correct (assuming the group fits on one page; I use a page break to put each group on its own page), but the report *also* lists all other groups of which these people are a part on succeeding pages--but those groups are not complete since other people not in the found set are also in those additional groups.

How do I limit the report to show *only* the group for which the Find was performed?

Perform the find and show the results in the join table. That way you only see those Member-Group records that you search for. You can also find for multiple Member-Groups and you will avoid the missing record problem.

P.S.: What SM are your an E in?

Perform the find and show the results in the join table. That way you only see those Member-Group records that you search for. You can also find for multiple Member-Groups and you will avoid the missing record problem.

That's what I *thought* I was doing, but must be missing something. I do the find on the group ID# (the key field). The report layout shows records from the join table, and then has related records from the group table (to supply the group name) in the sub-summary part, and from the people table (to supply the individual's names) in the body.

I must be missing something...

P.S.: What SM are your an E in?

(ancient) Greek grin.gif

Make sure you are performing the find in a layout based on the join table. (Alternatively, you could find the group in the Group table and then use a Go to Related Records [ Show ] script step to jump to the Member-Group records for that group.)

Then make sure the report is in a layout based on the join table (the records should be Member-Group records, though you only need to show Member fields in the Body, while summarizing by Group fields.)

This topic is 7123 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.