import from excel

Jana

This topic is 7115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Age old struggle...I'm constantly getting files which I want to import the data into Filemaker that have been supplied to me with names and addresses that have been set up in excel in a vertical manner (meaning the data is stacked in rows in one column rather than entered across the columns with each piece of information next to each other left to right.

Does anyone know how to extract the data that has been stacked to get it into to a form so that it can be imported into a database?

I keep explaining to people that they should enter info into one single row across the columns so that it can be used in other ways, but can't seem to get people on board. They'd rather set them up as if they were in boxes down and across the page like labels.

Anybody!?

thanks

crazy.gif

Have you tried selecting the data, copying it, then highlighting an unused area with reversed dimensions (e.g. 1 X 4 becomes 4 X 1) and selecting Paste special with Transpose?

Hi JT,

Slick. I knew there was a way to switch the rows with the columns in Excel but I could never get it to work. The copy special - Transpose is a way to do it.

Thanks for another tool for my toolbox.

Lee

smile.gif

• Newbies

I have the same issue except I have 455 rows in one column and Xcel spec is only good for 254 columns; So I broke the sheet down into two transposed sheets with around <250 each and that works. But now when I try to create and put both sheets into one DB - I can import and create one defined table automaticall but I can never get the second defined sheet in. It keeps try to add or update to the existing table. In DB ACCESS I can import tables all day long and it takes them, but for some reason I cannot add other tables into FMP7 unless I manually create the data fields. I dont want to spend 100 bucks for FM

Migrator. any suggestions

This topic is 7115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.