Fields that vanish !!! ???

This topic is 7087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I am working on new layouts and every now & then fields seem to vanish from them. As this happened to anyone else??

I am working on a layout that has a portal, but the vanishing fields are

NOT on the portal (i would of explained that as a deleted relation). i was testing a suppliers value list & voila my sales tax field is gone from the layout.

Any ideas?? Thanks

--Dan

It could be data corruption.

It could also be that there are two (or more) files with the same name on your hard disk or shared on the network, and they are being opened randomly each time you do work.

Actually, I HAVE had this happen. I have copied fields from one file to another (because I wanted to preserve their formatting. FM7 gives me one chance to define it; at which time, the field will disappear. And it isn't hiding under something either. wink.gif

If you experience this, I would question your TOs. They may appear fine but look for any pointing to the TO box header instead of a field. You said you were testing ... that's when it usually happens. Also check your file references. But yes, in each case, it has been when I broke (either accidently or deliberately) a table occurence or reference.

Ah yes, a similar thing happens in FMP 6 with a pasted field that is undefined: when double-clicked the field dialog appears; select a field and all is OK but clicking cancel will cause the field to be deleted from the layout.

Thanks guys,

I think you hit it right on the nail!!

If i remember, the fields that vanished were ones i had copied and pasted.

Since i posted this, i re-worked my layout with a bunch of new fields & the

problem is no longer!!!

Dan

This topic is 7087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.